Friday, May 04, 2007

Thank You Peggy

Peggy Noonan comes to the rescue with a piece in The Wall Street Journal about the Republican debate which I decided not to watch. My take on this extended political campaign season was summed up best by Newt Gingrich when he said "This is stupid."

While most of Peggy's article has to do with the debate, who won, who lost, who went sideways, I thought this part was particularly insightful:

"This is a piece about Thursday night's Republican presidential debates, but first I would like to note that the media's fixation with which Republican is the most like Reagan, and who is the next Reagan, and who parts his hair like Reagan, is absurd, and subtly undermining of Republicans, which is why they do it. Reagan was Reagan, a particular man at a particular point in history. What is to be desired now is a new greatness. Another way of saying this is that in 1960, John F. Kennedy wasn't trying to be the next FDR, and didn't feel forced to be. FDR was the great, looming president of Democratic Party history, and there hadn't been anyone as big or successful since 1945, but JFK thought it was good enough to be the best JFK. And the press wasn't always sitting around saying he was no FDR. Oddly enough, they didn't consider that an interesting theme.
They should stop it already, and Republicans should stop playing along. They should try instead a pleasant. "You know I don't think I'm Reagan, but I do think John Edwards may be Jimmy Carter, and I'm fairly certain Hillary is Walter Mondale."


Touche.

No comments: