Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Dear George Revisited

It's official - Senator George Voinovich's career is over. Below is my latest and last letter to the soon to be former Senator from the Great State of Ohio:

Senator Voinovich,

I can not begin to tell you how disappointed I am at your seeming reluctance to communicate with a concerned, registered, Ohio Republican voter about the Comprehensive Immigration Reform Bill. I sent you two previous e-mails on this issue dated June 15th and June 23rd – neither of which has been acknowledged in any fashion. I know your website has a disclaimer saying “the quantity of e-mails my office receives does not always allow for the kind of speedy response users of e-mail may anticipate”. That sir, I must tell you, is a significant understatement. Even a quick “immigration” search of your website turns up only references to the Visa Waiver Program and Passport Delays – hardly what I am interested in. I would also venture a guess that all of those constituents calling your office did not want to talk about Passport Delays either.

I heard you on Sean Hannity’s radio show this afternoon and not because I listen to Hannity but only because I knew you were going to be on. I can assure you I am not part of the rabble Hannity and others have stirred up regarding this issue. Unfortunately, your appearance only confirmed some of my worst suspicions. I do not understand why the Senate feels the need to address this issue in such haste and with so little public discussion. I can not help but feel as if I have been dismissed by my patrician betters.

In addition, I must express my total objection to the letter you sent to President Bush yesterday. The War on Terror is the most important and defining issue of our time. Anyone who thinks that “A policy of responsible military disengagement with a corresponding increase in non-military support is the best way to advance our nation’s interests in Iraq” is seriously mistaken or, at the very least, naive.

I have voted for you on many occasions in the past but now find that since we have parted ways on these two important issues, I will no longer be able to support you in the future. Not only that, but I will actively support any conservative candidate that runs against you. Also, since no one in your office has felt the need to respond to me, please do not bother since it will not only be a waste of your time, but more importantly, mine.

No comments: