Monday, May 19, 2008

He Said What?

I have not been able to find this on Obama's website or on YouTube to confirm the the statement below. According to an article by AFP:

"Pitching his message to Oregon's environmentally-conscious voters, Obama called on the United States to "lead by example" on global warming, and develop new technologies at home which could be exported to developing countries.

"We can't drive our SUVs and eat as much as we want and keep our homes on 72 degrees at all times ... and then just expect that other countries are going to say OK," Obama said.

"That's not leadership. That's not going to happen," he added."


Why should we care what other countries think about what we drive, how much we eat and how warm we keep our homes? When did that become the acid test?

I have encountered this sentiment from liberals before. "We have lost our standing in the world because of George Bush". "No one likes Americans anymore". What self-deluding nonsense. The Europeans didn't care that much for us before Bush became president and just forget about the Russians and the Chinese. It all comes down to envy cloaked in politics.

I have never given one second of consideration to what the rest of the world thinks about my vehicles, my dinner, my home or my politics and I am not about to start now. And the fact that a Democrat presidential candidate does should be a cause of great concern to us all.

No comments: