Sunday, December 30, 2007

Raising Sand

Raising Sand is a new work by Robert Plant and Allison Krauss. When I first heard about the project my initial thought was "What?"; I couldn't quite put Allison Krauss' ethereal vocals together with anything Plant might sing/scream. To put it mildly, Allison is no Sandy Denny who managed to hold her own with Plant. Then I found out T Bone Burnett was on board handling the production and I became much more interested. The video below will give you some of the background of the recording as well as a nice sampling of the music. The music needs to be heard on it's own terms to be appreciated and as with most really good music it reveals itself only after a great deal of listening.

A concert tour has been promised - unless, of course, Robert is busy with other commitments.

No comments: