Wednesday, January 23, 2008

If You Can't Be Reagan, Be Goldwater

It is with a heavy heart that I remove my Fred Thompson for President banner on the sidebar in acknowledgement of his withdrawal from the race.

Here is the official announcement:

"Today I have withdrawn my candidacy for President of the United States. I hope that my country and my party have benefited from our having made this effort. Jeri and I will always be grateful for the encouragement and friendship of so many wonderful people."

Jim Geraghty at NRO had this to say:

I spoke to one of my Thompson sources.

He's still with his ailing mother. "He's just being a good son."

He has not spoken to any other campaign or any other candidates, nor does he intend to at this time.

He will not endorse, I am told by this source close to Thompson.

I am also told, "he has no interest in a vice presidency or a cabinet position." At an "appropriate time" he will outline his plans for the near future.

This source believes that the race has demonstrated that whatever happens from here on out, the GOP has to stand for consistent conservative policies across the board.

At one point, I asked this source if the attitude was, 'if you can't be Reagan, be Goldwater,' and the source responded, "exactly."

No comments: